Heathen Peas or “Heidenische Erweiz”
2 cups sliced almonds
2/3 cup honey
A squeeze of lemon or lime
1 tsp water
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp ginger
1 tsp black peppercorn
1/2 pinch clove
1/2 pinch freshly grated nutmeg
1. Whisk honey, water and lemon in a small sauce pan. Simmer on low, stirring occasionally, until it caramelizes.
2. Grind almonds in a food processor until they are very fine and look a bit oily.
3. Grind pepper, add all spices to almonds and pulse to incorporate.
4. Add almond mixture to caramelized honey and bring back up to hard ball stage (250-266F).
4. Pour out onto granite or cutting board.
5. When it's cool enough to handle, roll into small balls.
The translation from: https://guoterspise.wordpress.com/2012/07/18/recept-63-heidenische-erweiz/
Recipe from: http://www.food.com/recipe/heathen-saracen-peas-199187
and another https://eldrimner.wordpress.com/tag/almonds/
The first time I tried to make these I attempted, by weight, to redact the translation of the mid 14th c German text. "A third as much honey" So... 12 oz almonds, 4oz honey? It didn't work, so I went back to the internet and found other attempts, redactions and recipes. Using these gentles trials, errors and successes as a basis, I made my own. Several times. People liked it! As funny as these little balls looked, they put them in their mouths and said "yum!".
It won Queen's Choice at fall Crown A.S.XLIX.